Thursday 28 December 2017

Project: Polonaise Part 2, The Shift


A Shift or Chemise (They seem to have been used interchangeably) is the base layer of any pre-19th century European outfit. I chose to make mine out of linen, as the vast majority seem to have been at the time due to cotton still being a luxury item. The majority of this garment was stitched on the machine (as per our course guidelines) with finishing done by hand.



For the pattern I used Jean Hunnisett's 'Period Costumes for Stage and Screen' with the sleeve altered slightly so it would fit under the sleeve of the gown. I ordered three meters of linen for the shift but used less than that as I had factored in enough to make the pockets. I tacked all of the pieces together first to check the fit as well as the shape of the waistline before fell stitching all of the seams. Then, because I'm completely crazy I made some lace to go round the neckline to add an extra air of historical authenticity.


The (almost) finished shift on a mannequin

No comments:

Post a Comment

1790s short stays (and a petticoat)

In January I made a decision to begin a 1790's ensemble. I originally wrote the majority of this post in February and have only just got...