Sunday 28 October 2018

Elizabethan Kirtle

In February I began making a Tudor kirtle, and it's finally finished! As I started it so long ago and then left it till the end to write this post I may have missed out some steps (Sorry). This costume was made with the intention of it being a fun project for myself that would use up some fabric and also give me the chance to explore a new era without having to worry to much about historical authenticity.



Using the kirtle pattern from 'The Tudor Tailor' I made a mock up out of calico and worked out any necessary adjustments. Following this I cut out the lining and a layer of buckram to stiffen the front panels and provide support, I later removed about an inch off the buckram from around the armholes to allow for more comfort and movement.

The fabric I used was a green wool from my fabric stash. It was given to me with a load of other fabric and so I don't know the content or place it was bought from but it seems to do the job.


I used one of my grandma's old linen tablecloths for the lining and all off the layers were tacked together.


 As the kirtle is front-laced the centre front of the skirt has an opening to allow the skirt to fit over the hips. The edge of the openg was hemmed back with the point being overcast and reinforced with a thread bar.


 The bodice seams were machine stitched together and then finished by hand before being bound. I made the decision to use metal eyelets which I then covered with whip stitch as I felt that I would have more control over the eyelets. (One day I will completely hand sew some eyelets, I promise!)

 The top seam allowance was folded over by two inches, it was then cartridge pleated (So pretty!) and attached to the skirt

The Kirtle was then complete! (Well it still needs hemming but that's not essential right now.)
Overall I've enjoyed this project and can't wait to make other things to add to the costume (such as a very essential shift, and maybe some detachable sleeves with leftover fabric. It could also maybe do with a bum-roll.)

Next up I should finally be starting on my 1860's outfit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

1790s short stays (and a petticoat)

In January I made a decision to begin a 1790's ensemble. I originally wrote the majority of this post in February and have only just got...