Saturday 6 January 2018

Project: Polonaise- Part 5, The False Rump

In the 1770's and 80's the emphasis moved backwards from the hips and the panniers that everyone associates with Marie Antoinette were discarded in favour of false rumps. These 'rumps' would be stuffed with horsehair of made from cork and came in various shapes and sizes as can be seen in the caricature 'The Bum Shop' (R.Rushworth 1785).




I decided to make the False Rump for my polonaise using a pattern from 'Period Costume for Stage and Screen' by Jean Hunnisett. The rump was made of linen with cotton ties for the waist and stuffed with wadding. This gave a decent amount of emphasis but my tutor felt it needed more so some extra layers were created.





This change too the rump helped to make the fall of the petticoat more gradual and improved the silhouette.

That's all for today. I know this post has been a short one so i'll try to get the next part (the petticoat) up asap

No comments:

Post a Comment

1790s short stays (and a petticoat)

In January I made a decision to begin a 1790's ensemble. I originally wrote the majority of this post in February and have only just got...