Friday 16 February 2018

Project: Polonaise- Part 10, The Jewellery






This project would not have felt complete without a bit of bling! The fashion plate I was re-creating showed the figure wearing a chatelaine, bracelet and necklace with gold colour schemes.




                                                                                  
I decided to begin with the chatelaine, These were adapted from the key chains that were traditionally worn by the lady of a house and often included sewing kits, watches and other useful items.

During the eighteenth century, elaborate Rococo-style equipages with hinged belt hooks, decorative plaques, side appendages, and a…
This Chatelaine is from the MFA in Boston
Beaded French Chátelaine with Hot Air Balloon Motif, 1783-1790  @ Museum of Fine Arts in Boston
A beaded chatelaine also from the MFA
This beaded chatelaine from the MFA in Boston inspired me to make my own chatelaine as it saved me the money from buying one as well as presenting a different skill for my degree work. I used the book 'Decorative Beaded Purses' by Enid Taylor for the patterns for the scissor and thimble holders. The watch was ordered online and the clasp was found in a box of 'bits and bobs' at uni and spray painted gold.

All of the elements were then fastened together with jump rings.



I was so proud of it I got two Photos.

Then onto the necklace and bracelet. Which I was also proud of despite having almost no photos of any off the making process, let alone close-ups off the final things.

For these pieces I was going for these (below) sort of looks with the portraits. 
Add caption


I began with the bracelet and went searching for a fitting online, after a few hours of searching I gave up finding one I liked that was the right size and decided to order a doll's house mirror instead (bear with me I swear I hadn't gone crazy)...

To make the image for thee bracelet I heat transferred a portrait onto a scrap of white silk. (I'm pretty sure that both portraits I used were of unknown sitters but I don't seem to have noted the name of the 
artist/s down anywhere if anyone can help.)
The silk was then cut into a circle slightly larger than a backing piece of card and gathered around it.
The portrait was glued over the glass of the mirror and gold coloured ribbon glued onto the back.

The necklace was a similar process (except I actually bought a fitting this time) Unfortunately the only photo I appear to have of it is of the finished thing.
That's all for this time, next up...(drum roll please)... it's The Gown! The next post will probably be a very long one (I'm tempted to split it into several parts) but you actually get to see how the amazing marshmallow Polonaise was created! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

1790s short stays (and a petticoat)

In January I made a decision to begin a 1790's ensemble. I originally wrote the majority of this post in February and have only just got...