Sunday 4 February 2018

Project: Polonaise- Part 9, The Hat

I'm going to start off by saying that the hat was probably the least historically accurate part of this entire project. Having said that I do still really like it (and it helps to cover up the wig).

Historically most 18th century caps would be muslin or linen that was stiffened with starch. However this would mean that the hat would require almost constant reshaping practically every time it was worn. In order to avoid this I decided to support the hat with a crown of buckram.

The hat from the fashion plate I was re-creating

First I cut up some card and arranged it on the wig to pattern the buckram section of the hat.




Once the pattern was drafted the pieces were cut from buckram, constructed with millinery wire and covered in ice wool. A circle of muslin was then gathered and attached around the brim and top edge of the crown

Two layers of starched pleating and a lining in muslin were then hand stitched into the hat.




A pattern was drafted up for the pink hat band which was cut out in interfaced pink silk. A strip of the blue/green taffeta was box pleated and one edge bound. These were then attached to the hat with stab stitches.



A pink bow was made up and then stitched to the hat as well as three pink ostrich feathers (I couldn't find any in the right shade of green). The top section of the hat was starched and 'puffed out' to give it the right shape and the hat was complete. 

My model wearing the completed hat
Next up is the Jewellery.





No comments:

Post a Comment

1790s short stays (and a petticoat)

In January I made a decision to begin a 1790's ensemble. I originally wrote the majority of this post in February and have only just got...