Monday 12 August 2019

Norwich Cathedral-Elizabethan Kirtle costume


Way back in April Imogen, Abby and I met up in Norfolk, were Abby lives, for a weekend holiday.

 Abby volunteers at a sewing group at Norwich Cathedral as so arranged to take some photos of her amazing Italian Renaissance dress (that Imogen modelled) in the cloisters. I asked if I could tag along in my Elizabethan kirtle as I felt that a shift and cap with a forehead cloth was achievable in the time I had. In case anyone needs a reminder here is what the kirtle looks like:


to make the shift I used the instructions from Elizabeth Friendship's 'Making working Women's Costume', All the pieces are measured out and cut from a single piece of linen fabric with no pattern needed. This is also the first garment that I've completely hand sewn.

All the fabric pieces cut out


Sewing the front opening

sewing an underarm gusset to a sleeve

A Sleeve before attaching it to the body of the shift
Unfortunately I later found out that I had cut the sleeve pieces too short so had to add in some extra fabric, it doesn't look to bad (and piecing is period!) but it did mean I didn't have time to completely finish the costume before the photos.
For the cap and forehead cloth I used the pattern from The Tudor Tailor. The forehead cloth is actually the only thing that's completely finished in the photos!
The day of the journey I had to wake up early to get the first of three trains to take me to Norfolk, look at the pretty sunrise!


Once we arrived in Norwich Abby took us on a little tour of the city. They have some really cute buildings and architecture 

a cobblestone building with a photo bombing attempt by Imogen




Abby's mum then met up with us and gave us a lift back to their house down the one main road in Norfolk (It's literally built over a marsh and is surrounded by a lot of windmills). We met Abby's cat Jethro (who is an adorable bean!) and had really nice chat and catch up.

The next day we went back into Norwich for the photo shoot! My kirtle still hadn't been hemmed and the shift had no fastenings but I figured as I'd lugged the whole costume halfway down the country not wearing it would be a waste. 

Imogen modelling Abby's Italian renaissance dress with me as a servant

Sooo Swishy!

Turns out I'd missed one of the eyelets out when lacing myself up, unfortunately we didn't notice until afterwards



After the photo shoot we changed back into normal clothes and went to look around Norwich Castle, or as I like to call it 'The Box on the Hill'
Norwich Castle
Here's my local castle for comparison, ours has walls

The Castle museum was really interesting, the main keep had a balcony level at the same height as the first floor (what had been the floor with the dining hall)

The only photo I took of the inside of the keep, sorry for the blurriness
The museum itself was pretty big, there were lots of different sections each showing different eras and what was happening in the county as well as an art gallery. I didn't get to see it all as after a few hours we all had very tired feet but I did find the costume section!
This 1880's bodice was made using silk woven in Norwich
The outfit next to it is a fancy dress costume representation of 'India' made for Queen Victoria's Jubilee in the 1890s



Sumpwork (top) and Venetian bead work (Bottom)


A lady's glove with stumpwork and metal embroidery


18th century sleeve ruffles


18th century embroideries


a mid eighteenth century apron embroidered with silk and metal


detail of the apron

and 1830's cotton dress with a shawl. The shawl is believed to have been manufactured in Norwich
As a treat for ourselves we all bought viking lucets from the museum shop and had a go at making some braid that evening.



No comments:

Post a Comment

1790s short stays (and a petticoat)

In January I made a decision to begin a 1790's ensemble. I originally wrote the majority of this post in February and have only just got...